Sunday, January 2, 2011

Isaiah 58:6 (The Message)

 "This is the kind of fast day I'm after:
   to break the chains of injustice, 
   get rid of exploitation in the workplace,
   free the oppressed,
   cancel debts."

Chains: something that binds or restrains

We all have chains, some visible and others that only we see. For some the chains are real and they keep people locked up and away as a means to protect others.  The chains I'm talking about are the ones we carry willingly.  Yes, I said willingly, we pick up these chains every day and we carry them with us like luggage for a trip.  I want to talk about why, why would we make ourselves carry these heavy burdens. 

I want to tell you another story, I like stories in case you hadn't noticed.  My sister recently became the foster mom to a cat.  He came to us very scared and missing his old owner.  The second day we had him he escaped into a loose floorboard in our 200+ year old farm house.  He has been there for over two weeks now.  We have food for him and he is doing okay, he's just in the wall.  We can see him but he won't come out of the floor.  Now, my point with this story is simple, why would he stay in the floor/wall, when he can see freedom and better things.

Safety, fear, take your pick, we do the same things as Pumpkin the cat, we back into our corners of safety and we refuse to leave there even when we can see something better just on the other side of the wall. I pray that eventually the cat will come out.  I think God wants the same for us, He wants us to give up our safety and trust that He will provide for us if we just take that leap of faith and step out.

Climb out of your wall, trust the Father who is sitting by the loose floorboard, calling your name and waiting to give you all good things.  He loves you so very much!

Jordan

No comments: