Sunday, January 2, 2011

Come and rest

Matthew 11:28 (The Message)

 28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."


I was thinking today about rest, we're just now coming down from the holidays, which for me is anything but restful. I get so caught up in the preparations and making sure everything is right and ready that I don't stop to rest.  I get stressed and burned out and just tired.  I want to come to my Daddy and just rest today.

The love of my life is my nephew Luis, he is almost 14 months old and so full of life.  He, like his Tia Jojo(me) doesn't know when to stop and rest. There is a nasty stomach bug going around and of course he got it.  Poor baby, all he can do right now is rest.  He was crying earlier and all he wanted was for me to hold him.  No one else would work, it had to be me, and I sat and rocked him to sleep.  I stared at his beautiful face and I thought about the nights I spent rocking him as a newborn.  I know why he wanted me, I was there, he knew he could climb up on my lap and rest. He would be safe and he could just focus on resting.  Our Daddy wants us to climb in his lap and rest.  He doesn't need us to get up there and list all the things we need to do.  He doesn't ask us to present our demands or list our worries.  There is time for that later.  Right now, He wants us to be like my nephew, climb up and settle in, lay against the heart of Jesus and let it's steady beat remind you of His love and just rest. 

I'm not very good at this myself, I have a million things to do and I don't stop to just be with my Daddy.  I need to learn how to be silent and how to just rest and not expect every minute of my life to be in motion.

Lord,
    Cradle me in your arms.  Let me rest in your arms as a child rests in the arms of a loving caregiver.  Let me forget my worries and doubts, my fears and failures.  Let me just come and rest in your arms and remember my love. 

It's a new year and I wanna spend it loving my Jesus.  I hope you join me.

Jordan

No comments: